I continue to get the question, “Why do you want to run a marathon?”
I mean…WHO DOES THAT? Is the comment that most say when they hear I am going after the feat.
My answer is… people who want to be healthy and people who have their own reasons for wanting to join a spiritual movement. A marathon is such a spiritual happening.
I have several reasons for tackling 26.2 miles all in one day.
1. I have been an above average achiever for my entire life. This above average performing has allowed me to be a non-finisher for most of my life and fly under the radar. Most people do not realize this about me but I KNOW I have not lived up to my full potential and I need to start being a finisher. Completing this task is the rites of passage for my becoming a finisher.
2. My wife has been running half-marathons for a two year period and I would even run her long runs with her on some of her trainings but I would never compete on race day.(typical) A marathon is my way of being the leader in my home. Having 4 daughters means I need to be the leader and they need to see me lead so they know WHAT RIGHT LOOKS LIKE.
3. My family has a history of heart disease and I have two parents that are needing pacemakers and I refuse to believe that something that is right before me will JUST HAPPEN to make a swerve around me and miss. I just don’t think I am THAT special.
4. I also would like to continue to rehabilitate my achilles that was surgically repaired in July 2011.
5. At age 43, I would like to transition into doing Triathlons and add the swimming and biking to my training.
6. To say I have done something that puts me into such a Small Percentage of Society
7. To spend some time and spiritually connect with my 4 daughters by playing their song “Rise” as my run day Theme Song.
Thanks to all those that have supported me during my training. I also would like to thank the Ironman training crew who I would run into most Saturdays/Sundays. The crew that has members that are 10 years older than I am and gave me no excuse to ever stop.
Wish me luck…